Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Red Stripe

I’m gonna fight ‘em off, a 7 nation army couldn’t hold me back! Oh wait, that's White Stripe. I just finished a pint (+) of the Jamaican Lager, Red Stripe, and I got to tell you, I am fairly impressed. Most people think of Bob Marley and his pastime, not beer (think about it), when they think of Jamaica, but this beer could possibly change that image. Red Stripe was first brewed by a soft drink manufacturer, Desnoes & Geddes, Ltd., in 1928. I guess they got tired of the caffeine headaches cola causes and figured if their beverage was going to cause a headache, it will be associated with a hangover!

Okay, let’s begin with the aroma. To me, this beer has a pretty noticeable malt smell to it. And it is coupled with a faint spicy aroma as well. Malt is not my favorite smell, but Red Stripe had a decent aroma. It kind of reminds me of the smell of a spicy beer brat, which is quite delectable!

The color of the beer was a pale gold. Nothing too spectacular about it, it looked just your average lager appearance.

However, the taste of Red Stripe is what got to me. I prefer the hoppier beers, but this beer had a pleasing dry and bitter taste to it. Coupled with the malty taste of it, it made for one fine tasting beer. I think that Bob Marley would have put down the blunt just long enough to enjoy a crisp, cold Red Stripe. Also, note the high carbonation, sort of stung the tongue on the way down!

Would I recommend this beer, absolutely! I thought it was a bit pricy, but still worth it. It goes great with a slightly crispy Frank’s Foot Long and some potato chips. This beer would be perfect for a picnic on a hot August day. Because let's face it, nothing makes a hot day better than a crisp, cold lager!

Beer-O-Meter: 12 pack

No comments: