Sunday, February 10, 2008

Bud Light

We have all had Bud Light because we have all been to the proverbial keg party at your college roommate’s best friend from high school’s girlfriend’s brother’s house. Not the one in the military but the one that dropped out of college and works at the record shop in downtown nowhere and rooms with his hip friends who work at a different record shop in the next town over. We have all done at least one keg stand to this beer since you truly aren’t a man unless you have done one(first and last time I was talked into that). Bud Light was actually introduced in 1982 as Budweiser light. I really had no idea because I was 3 at the time and although my dad let me take a couple swigs off his bottle when my mom wasn’t looking, I had no idea what the heck I was drinking, nor did I care. All that mattered was that I thought my dad thought I was cool!

Anyway, let’s start off with the aroma, or lack-of-a-roma as some may say. I would say that it has a slight malty aroma. But nothing really stands out with the smell, it smells like a traditional light domestic lager to me. However, I will say this, that slight malty aroma does intensify after it has been sitting in your girlfriends stomach for a couple of hours and decides to make its way back up. All you can really do is hold her hair and breathe and talk like you have a really stuffed up nose (“Cub on ‘honey, one more anth leth’s get you home!” and she replies, “RRRRRRALPH!). But that’s enough of that.

The color is your traditional pale yellow. However, one thing I really enjoy about Bud Light is the head after pouring. A chimp could essentially pour you a BL because the head does not really linger that long. It will go away pretty fast and that just makes for a smoother chug..chug..chug!

And now we talk about the taste. It tastes somewhat malty to me and a little dry, which isn’t really a bad thing at all. Some of the best beers I have ever had were as dry as a well in the Mojave Desert during a sand storm. What I do enjoy is the high carbonation of BL. It sort of bites your tongue as it flows down the gullet. However, it does seem a little watery but that is probably why it is the keg of choice since most anyone will be able to drink it.

Would I recommend this beer? Sure, if you do not have a taste for the finer beers in life and are looking for a quick buzz while playing anchorman with your beer drinking buds (no pun intended). It goes really well with buffalo style chicken wings because after eating a 3 alarm at Jeffrey's Sports Bar and Grill, you are going to need lots to drink, fast, and BL will allow you to guzzle ‘till your tongue's content! Very easy to get drunk with this beer, probably because of the watered down texture, so take it slow!

Beer-O-Meter: 40 oz – Sixer, somewhere in between there.

2 comments:

David said...

Funny review. I wish I could add some smart comment like I know something about beer, but it just wouldn't work. I tried Bud Light once and that will most likely be the last time as well. Great site!

HomeBrewMe said...

Hey Dave -

I am not surprised to hear you say that. Bud Light is not the greatest beer, but it serves a purpose.

-->HomeBrewMe