Friday, February 8, 2008

Welcome to the Beer Gazette!

I can't think of one drink in the history of mankind that has been appreciated as much as beer. According to Wikipedia, which we all know is fact (until someone rewrites it, that is), it is the oldest and most enjoyed alcoholic beverage in the world. The ancient Egyptians first stumbled upon the delectable treat known as beer in 6000 BC. And they got so drunk they decided to build triangular shaped buildings! I don't think that there is any other drink in this world that could unite so many people in such a common and ludicrous goal. But there you have it!

Awhile back, as I took a long pull off of my Flying Dog Classic Pale Ale, I thought to myself out loud for some reason (possibly too many beers), I absolutely love the brewing concoction we affectionately refer to as suds, the brew-ha-ha, bottled sunshine...and so on and so forth. So I took it upon myself to join a brewing club started by some of the greatest minds ever to scrape their knuckles on the ground. It is called Lithonia's Finest and it truly holds up to its name.

And I can't help but wonder why everyone doesn't enjoy the fine beverage known as beer. Okay, so beer is an acquired taste. And it is probably not for everyone, which I have no problem with (more beer for me).

Now I am considered somewhat of a hophead. I enjoy the subtle nuances that too many hops bring to the table. But I also enjoy the more hearty malts. However I am not going to stick to one type of beer, but select a beer to write about at random. I think that it is best to first scour the local supermarket, for all you "mainstreamers", then branch out into the tastier treats that can only be specially ordered by your handy dandy store of liquor for a "modest" fee. But I have to write about my personal favorite first. And that would be none other than Flying Dog Classic Pale Ale!

No comments: